From July 1 to July 31, support veterans and military families by donating online and rounding up in-store purchases at Macy’s.
Give Back to Veterans and Military Families
Macy’s will donate 100% of these donations to Blue Star Families and Bunker Labs as part of their Macy’s Salutes Those Who Serve campaign. That spare change can add up to a significant contribution: In 2019, Macy’s donated $1.2 million to Blue Star Families and Bunker Labs.
Macy’s Salutes Those Who Serve
This July, the Macy’s Salutes Those Who Serve campaign will support the Bunker Labs Entrepreneurship Workshop series, which helps veterans from underrepresented populations, including Black, women, LatinX, and Asian American communities, launch and grow their businesses.
Milk Money Kitchens
The Macy’s Salutes Those Who Serve campaign features Bunker Labs Veterans in Residence alum and Winners Circle honoree Nancy Preston. Nancy grew up in El Paso, graduated from West Point, and served as an engineer in the U.S. Army. In 2016, Nancy started Milk Money Kitchens, which rents out commercial kitchen spaces and provides business services (such as temporary kitchen staff and food packaging services) and consulting services to food entrepreneurs in New York City.
During the height of the Covid-19 pandemic in New York City, Nancy co-founded FOOD FOR IMPACT (which included a collaboration with fellow Veterans in Residence alumni, Black 6 Project and Backpacks For Life). FOOD FOR IMPACT provides free, healthy meals to healthcare teams and first responders. FOOD FOR IMPACT has delivered over 8,000 meals to hospitals across New York since March 2020.
Check out Nancy’s recommendations below of what to shop at Macy’s during the Macy’s Salutes Those Who Serve campaign! Her must-haves are essential for foodies, as well as anyone who lives life on the go.
Nancy Preston’s Top 10 Kitchen Gadget Recommendations from Macy’s
- The teeny Dash Mini Waffle Maker is killer for recipe testing cake batter and cookie dough with my customers. It takes like 90 seconds to cook dough and find out if you have a winner or a dud. If only you could stick a date in there…😊
- I could not afford commercial mixers and did not have the space in the beginning, and Kitchenaid mixers are so useful and popular. Now people just associate them with quality, yet not intimidating, baking.
- External Tzumi Pocket Juice 4,000 mAh Solo Portable Charger is super-fast charging, fits in any pocket in my backpack, and is worth every penny.
- I LOVE LOVE LOVE mixing bowls with silicone. Nothing quite matches the ringing sounds of a metal bowl on a metal table being whisked to death. The Martha Stewart Collection, Set of 3 Non-Skid Mixing Bowls with Measurements saved my mental health.
- Silicone baking mats save so much time in cleaning—and labor in NYC is pricey. My team and I love the OXO Silicone Baking Mats. Plus, no parchment paper—we went through SO much parchment. Trash carting is pricey, too!!!
- Trust me when I say that when renting to first-time cooks or food-preneurs, everything can be burned—even things that are burn-proof. Ovente Premium Spatulas are one solid piece (not a silicone top with a wood or plastic handle), are the best to clean, and they have a longer (not forever) lifespan. My customers have burned these too, but it can take much more abuse than any other spatula I have had.
- Safety shoes that are comfy, non-slip, and can withstand a falling knife or pot on your toes? Timberland Women’s Reaxion Composite Safety Shoe to the rescue. Plus, they are not Crocs 😊
- Bandolier for my phone! Women’s clothes often don’t have pockets, so the Hera Cases Iphone 11 Pro Case with Strap Wallet is a must!
- Energizing or soothing face mist is a must. Sometimes, I need to walk away to throw water on my face and yell at the mirror. Then, a nice mist like, Mario Badescu Facial Spray With Aloe, Herbs & Rosewater and a KitKat can help me get back into the kitchen.
- The Travelpro Walkabout 5 Laptop Backpack with USB Port is durable and functional. Probably my #1. Lots of pockets and zippers for pens, calculator, etc., and can handle a lot of abuse like spills, dog chews, and indiscernible subway goop (ugh). I would love to find one that is super cute with all these functions, but alas, still on the hunt. Ninety percent of every day can be handled with what is in my backpack 😊
This July, participate in the Macy’s Salutes Those Who Serve campaign to support the Bunker Labs and Blue Star Families. Together we can make a difference in the lives of veterans and their families. Shop and give today: https://www.macys.com/s/macys-gives/